What is VITA?
VITA stands for "Volunteer Income Tax Assistance" and is a nationwide program that runs from the end of January through April 15. IRS-certified volunteers prepare tax returns for free for individuals and families who qualify based on income (earning less than $58,000 in 2019).
How do I sign up?
To sign up, CLICK HERE
For additional questions, email Emily Merritt at email@example.com or call Emily at 378-3409 ext. 20.
What should I bring?
1. Photo ID for both spouses, if filing jointly
2. Original copies of Social Security Cards or ITINs (for everyone on the return)
3. Proof of Income (a W2 for each employer during the tax year, 1099s, Social Security Income, Unemployement, Interest, etc.)
4. Proof of Expenses, if claiming any (childcare, education, medical, property tax, itemized deductions, etc.)
5. Proof of Mileage, if claiming any (must be written record. Please total any business expenses before arriving)
6. Both spouses must be present if filing a joint return
Optional, but helpful items include:
1. Last year's tax return
2. Direct deposit information
Note - VITA cannot prepare the following:
1. Schedule C with Losses (can only file one Schedule C per return. Must have expenses less than $10,000. No businesses with depreciation or inventory or claiming home office deduction.)
2. Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
3. Rental or Farm Income
4. Certain travel and auto deductions
File from home:
United Way now offers a free, online option so that you can file your taxes from the comfort of your own home. Click Here to begin filing!